I love fall. It is seriously my favorite season. The best part about autumn is that there many fruits and vegetables that lend themselves to tasty make-it-fast meals.
As the leaves start to fall and the weather gets colder I find myself making more and more soups. Here is one of my favorites:
– 6 tablespoons chopped onion
– 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
– 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (I get a ready to go pack at the grocery)
– 3 cups water
– 4 cubes chicken bouillon or 4 tablespoons chicken report
– 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or sage
– 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
– 16 ounces of cream cheese (2 packages)
1. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram or sage, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not boil.
3. Serve an and enjoy with a loaf of crusty bread.