After watching this video I was inspired to share a great recipe using a bunch of canned ingredients.
As I am sure you know, money is tight with all of us these days, as well as time. Many times when I get fresh ingredients I do not have the time to make meals with them before the food goes bad. Not the case with canned food! And, generally, canned food is less expensive than its counterpart found in the meat or produce department.
Here is the recipe, which is great for the cold days we are still having in the DC area:
Green Chile Soup
– One tablespoon butter
-1/2 cup onion – finely diced (a food processor is great for this)
-1 teaspoon minced garlic
– 1/2 cup canned chile peppers
– 1 can of chunk chicken (5 ounces)
– 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10.75 ounces)
– 1 & 1/4 cups half and half (you can subsitute lowfat cream if you would like)
– 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar or pepper jack work well)
– 1/4 cup sour cream
Putting it together:
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion until carmelized. Stir in the garlic, green chiles, chicken meat, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute until blended. Stir in the cream of chicken soup & half-and-half. Cook until heated through for 5 minutes. Place hot soup into bowls. Top with cheese and a tablespoon of sour cream per bowl.
Do you have a great recipe that includes 2 or more canned food? Share it in this fun Twittermoms contest