As summer is approaching and we can’t hide underneath layers of clothing, more and more people (including myself) start thinking about how to lose some pounds and get healthier. As well as being able to participate in all of those fun summer activities. A great contest with TwitterMoms and Tropicana got me thinking about some tips that may help in your achievement of a happier, healthier you.
1. Don’t diet. Diets by definition are temporary and therefore, do not work. If you are lucky enough to lose weight on a traditional diet, you will most likely gain it back. Instead, change your lifestyle. If you change the way and what you eat, you can keep those changes for the rest of your life.
2. Purge the junk food. By eliminating temptation, this makes eating right much easier. Go through your pantry and fridge and get rid of the junk. And do your best at not bringing any more into your house.
3. Healthy snacks = a fuller, happier you. Stock up on items like whole grain crackers, nuts, juice boxes and dried fruits. Also make a stash of these available in your desk drawer at work.
4. The truth about carbs. All carbohydrates are not created equal. The easiest rule of thumb is try to buy items that are marked whole grain and avoid white carbs such as regular flour, etc.
5. Cut down or eliminate the caffeine. As addictive and tasty caffeinated beverages may be, in the end they affect your sleep and in some cases, increase your appetite. If you are a big soda fan, try seltzer water mixed with juice as you may find you like the carbonation. Instead of coffee, try herbal tea as an alternative.
6. Facts about fat. Although you should obviously avoid transfats like unsaturated fat and trans-isomer fatty acid, you should make sure to include “healthy fats” in your diet. Healthy fats are essential fatty acids. Make sure you are getting your omega-3 and omega-6 fats. These can be found in flax oil, nuts, and seeds.
7. Water, water…everywhere. Make sure to stay hydrated and drink a lot of water throughout the day.
8. Just breathe. Be sure not to take shallow breaths as that type of breathing won’t get sufficient oxygen into your body. Breathe deeply from your diaphragm to ensure your cells are well oxygenated.
9. Eat your veggies. Vegetables are rich minerals and vitamins that are essential to your health. Plus they are a natural internal body cleanser.
10. Make an appointment to exercise. Make an important appointment for yourself — to workout Schedule it at a specific time and place. Exercise should be as important as a meeting with your boss or doctor’s appointment
Do you want to get on track to a healthier, happier you? I have a special TwitterMoms Juicy Rewards code to get you started: TWMOM-READR (worth one Juicy Rewards point – that’s up to $5 in savings)
**This one-time use code is valid for new accounts ONLY. Must be entered within 6 hours of creating your account. Limit one new account bonus code per new account. All accounts must be created and all codes entered by June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM EST.**
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tropicana Trop50 blogging program to be eligible to win 6 free Juicy Rewards points and a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.