As hot as it has been around here, the back to school supplies have been showing in the office stores and back to school clothes are ready to be bought in department stores.
As a mom, you want to make sure your kid(s) are safe and healthy as they head back to school. Here are 10 tips to make sure they do just that.
1. Remind your child that she is not the only student who is a bit uneasy about the first day of school. Teachers know that students are anxious and will make an extra effort to make sure everyone feels as comfortable as possible.
2. Choose a backpack with wide, padded shoulder straps and a padded back.
3. For bus riders – Wait for the bus to stop before approaching it from the curb.
4. For carpoolers – All passengers should wear a seat belt and/or an age- and size-appropriate car safety seat or booster seat.
5. For bike riders – Always wear a bicycle helmet, no matter how short or long the ride.
6. For walkers – Make sure your child’s walk to a school is a safe route with well-trained adult crossing guards at every intersection.
7. Most schools regularly send schedules of cafeteria menus home. Review the menu and pack lunch on the days when the main course is one your child does not like.
8. During middle childhood, youngsters need supervision. If youare unable to watch your child in the morning/walk them to to school and/or be with them after school — hire someone that can.
9. Create an environment that is conducive to doing homework.
10. Set aside ample time for homework.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Airwear blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, visit http://airwear.twittermoms.com/about.